Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A glimpse into the non BMX cycle scene in Austin Texas


I asked a friend of mine and Austin shredder Elysa some questions regarding cycling in Austin Texas:

    • Very happy with this question and answer I hope you enjoy it to.
      Hey Elysa, I'm gonna ask you some questions for my blog:
      First off thank you for doing this for me, so here we go.
      I'm gonna shoot you ten questions and just answer them the best you can.
      1. Being from the mighty Keystone State, what brought you to Austin Texas in the first place?
      A boy. He goes by the graff alias as Sayer. He's back at the 'burgh. Shout out to him, Yeti, Lingo, Eore, and whatever Greg writes. 

       2. You work at one of the best beer garden/restaurants in Austin, Easy Tiger. I was so stoked when you brought me over that massive soft pretzel since it not only was it one of the best soft pretzels I've ever had and I'm from Philly. What is your favorite dish as opposed to the most popular food on the menu?

      I too, love that pretzel, but I'd have to say it's a tie between the lamb marguez sausage, served on a bun made of that amazing pretzel goodness, topped with romesco sauce. The Hill Country Board is bomb because it's served with pickled veggies, venison pate (with cranberries and pistachio crammed in there), elk sausage and Levain bread. Oh, and DUH, the Left Hand Milk Stout with a quick shoot of the 'ol Jameson.

      3.What kind of bicycle do you shred the streets of Austin with, and do you think that you could take me on a race on my BMX?
       I'm on an Affinity (Brooklyn) frame/fork. Phil Wood hubs, Deep-V's, blah,blah. It's fast and brakeless, and yes, i'll crush you on that bmx. C'mon, now...

      4. Austin seems to have an amazing bicycle community with everyone helping out everyone regardless if your on a single speed, fixie, bmx, or even a beach cruiser. Stores like Fast Folks and Empire BMX seem to be hubs for two different types of bike riding but I feel a mutual respect, something that I feel the East Coast cycling scene lacks. What do you feel sets a shop like fast folks apart from other bike shops in town?

      We are one big happy family. It doesn't matter what you ride just as long as you ride. Natalie (owner) and all of her friends are bad ass chicks that ride hard AND we're all some hot betches. ( I was told to spell that that way and Elysa will beat my ass haaa :) )

      5. Sidebar, or Boxed wine midnight bike rides?

      . d. all of the above.

      6. How often do you participate in Ladies Rides thru the city, and have you ever had a bat fly into your hair?
       Every Wednesday that I can. It's a gaggle of goodness. No, I have not, but i once helped rescue one in California. It was stuck in a fence. Super soft hair on their back. We hissed at each other.

      7. What do you miss most about Pittsburgh?

       Holy shit, everything. My friends, the metal scene, the rap scene, The Beehive, Meditteranean (sp?) food, the architecture, the museums, the art scene itself, the hills. God, I miss the hills. The train tracks, smokin' at the Mon, The Zenith, the d.j.'s. EVERYTHING. 

      8.Any plans to ever hit up Philly for some bike riding? I can't wait to comeback down to Austin and cruise with you.

      Fuck yes. I love Philly. Don't be surprised if I choose to move there in the future for a bit. It was actually a toss up between Philly and Austin at first.


      • 9. Why bicycles? What pushes you on a daily basis to put your gloves on bomb hills, drink a lonestar and wear a smile on your face?

         Honestly? My ass. I need to keep it in shape. I just so happen to love danger and being an asshole on my bike. Bombing hills through traffic is so much fun. I'm good at it. Near death experiences are exhilerating. (GREAT FUCKING ANSWER!!)

        <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/38666237?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;color=9e8f60" width="400" height="295" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/38666237">Mike Hoder.....Welcome To The Team</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/animalbikes">Animal Bikes</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>10. What are your top five favorite records or live acts at the moment?
        Geez. This is hard. Um, New Kids On the Block, Municipal Waste, Amebix, Complete Failure, the Subhumans. Im'ma throw a wild card and list M.I.A. She's nuts. These are all of my top favorite 5 acts I've seen live. I think. I can't list albums because there are too many and I like alot of different stuff. But, I fuckin' love the first album of Brutal Truth. Hands down #1

        Awesome humans with awesome answers.
        Me doing a wallride in Austin off a curb cut. Sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment