Tuesday, July 31, 2012

FDR SESSION



In Solitary Ruin, or how a dirty bridge in South Philly changed the way I ride a bike?

Have you seen Hurley P? To some this question is pure nonsense, to me it is a way to spot certain lines by using specific spray paint tags at FDR Skatepark in Philly. Just a short drive over the bridge for you Jersey folk. The first time I went to FDR was for my birthday in the vile year of 1997, at the time I had never touched transition before. The caliber of FDR was not only super intimidating to me at that young age, but up to that point in my life as a BMX rider I had never had so much fun with my friends riding our bikes. I was hooked. A few months later a buddy of mines grandmother emptied out her pool and gave us permission to shred it. It was like she had a mini version of FDR in her yard. Still at this point I had never rode a proper quarter pipe but for some reason I could ride this tight backyard kidney pool. I was almost like a drug that you just can't ever have enough of,chasing cheap thrills that end in life time memories instead of collapsed veins , pools, and concrete parks over took spending too much time in the woods, but I always put my time in on the streets. Needless to say without FDR who knows if I would even still be riding BMX? I currently work concrete construction with Dave Mac, a builder since day one from FDR, and for you old heads he was Satan in the first Little Devil Brand Catalog for 97-98. But just like you would respect a set of trails, put your time in when coming to the park. I don't care if you are a local or just on a holiday. Sweep up some glass, clean up your trash, help defend FDR! If a skater is giving you a hard time just remember that without their hard work and dedication you would probably be riding some awful street plaza, or prefab skatepark at a community center like a chode. FDR is a character and deserves the utmost respect from everyone who graces her lumpy concrete with their tires and sometimes the flesh. So hit up the park in the mornings, hell evenings are good to. With the huge uprising of street riding alot of people stay away from the park, which is a shame. But hell its more concrete for me to carve!
Words by Adam Schnellenbach
Photos by Vince Discala unless noted.
Icepick on the new flat rail at the park.
Upright smith to 180 back into some tight tranny,
Peggers on the hurly p. vert wall
Bunker dive bomb.
Drink up!
This photo is an oldie of Jim Korey and myself doing an over under in the peanut pool.
Another oldie, this was one of the first tailwhips that Vince Discala did over the box with me behind the lens.
I don't know why Vince isn't afraid of doing cannonballs over the box at FDGNAR!
This run may not look like much but it was raining, my tires were soaked, and I was eight beers in. I told my friend Sara to film it on my Iphone so pardon the quality. FDR in the rain is dangerous in case you have brain damage.

I had a very weird dream involving a lady friend of mine and all I could think of was this tune. I may keep it metal, but I do still have a heart!


This is weird because an old friend of mine Miss Melissa Greenwood my favorite girl from New England was in a dream of mine. I guess King Diamond and myself know that she rules! Haha I miss you Melissa Greenwood, and Melissa Gee! Two awesome friends of mine with the same name. I know that if I ever have a daughter her name is honestly going to be Melissa and she will be bad ass to! Like my favorite Melissa's in the world. Yes I'm stoned.

Oh... Melissa, You're in my dreams
You're with me every day

Oh... Melissa, could that really be your voice I hear?
Too soon for you and I
The priest took his sacrifice
And sent you to the other side

Oh... Melissa, You're in my dreams
You're with me every day

Oh... Melissa, do you remember the time we shared?
Do you remember the magic nights?
I will never forget your smile
Do you remember the love we had?...
Oh the love we had


"No... Melissa"
You gotta tell me why
"No... Melissa"
I want her by my side

"This is against the rules
There won't be another time"
Melissa tell me why
I wanna know why

"No... Melissa"
You gotta tell me why
"No... Melissa"
I want her by my side

Oh... Melissa, You're in my dreams
You're with me every day

Oh... Melissa, close your eyes and say goodbye
One last time... we'll kiss goodbye

I kiss your soul goodbye

Happy Birthday Tom Blyth! His section in the last FBM DVD was unreal this edit is no different also cheers for usuing this Electric Wizard track!

No comments:

Post a Comment